Wednesday 17 December 2014

My Gnocchi Secret

Hi all,

It’s been a while ! I was meant to post this on Monday however I was glued to my television for the past few days over the tragic siege that happened at the Lindt café in Sydney. I feel it is only right to start my post today sending love to the families and friends of Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson. It’s a sad day when lives a lost in such a terrifying way and I hope the best for all their loved ones. We should also remember that this was the work of an individual and we should not blame a whole community for this incident. My best friends are multicultural with different religions and girls… #illridewithyou to the moon and back.




Now to my post, Carb-a-phobes you might want to tune out for this one…

Last week I made Gnocchi… yes the infamous gnocchi , the one where if you get the balance of potato to flour incorrect you end up with a boiling pot of starch.

I feel like I have found a fool proof way of making gnocchi. It may have stemmed from my laziness but hey it all worked out in the end!


What’s my secret? Keep scrolling and find out. 











These little lumps of carby goodness are so easy  and quick to make! No resting or serious kneading! I love it! They are melt in your mouth good, have a pillowy softness yet also have a delicate spring to them.

So how is mine foolproof? MICROWAVE your potatoes to cook them! (I told you my method stemmed from laziness) the microwave in my opinion sucks just enough moisture out of the potatoes so that they don't fall apart when you boil them. 


What you need:

2 medium potatoes or 3 smaller potatoes
¾ cups of plain flour
1 tablespoon of macadamia oil
½ teaspoon of salt and pepper
¼ teaspoon of dried dill


What to do:

1. Place your potatoes in a microwave proof dish , fill halfway with hot water and pierce your potatoes multiple times with a knife.

2. Microwave for 12-15 minutes depending on your microwave (Mine is 1000watts)

3. Once the potato has cooked and cooled peel the skin , it should come off easily

4. Mash the potato with a fork and make sure there are no lumps!

5. Add in the salt, pepper, dill and macadamia oil to the potato mash.

6. Now incorporate the flour into the potato mash mixture until it has all combined together and can form a soft doughy ball

7. If it feels too sticky and you can’t roll it into a ball without it all sticking to your fingers then simply add a touch more flour. Don’t overdo the flour or you will end up with rubber pellets

8. Now separate the dough into 3 parts so it is easy to work with , roll the first part into a skinny snake around 1.5 cm in thickness

9. Get a knife and slice pieces off the snake around 1cm thick and place onto a floured surface.

10. Repeat with the other portions of dough

11. Now comes the fun part! To create a little hollow and lines for the sauce to nestle itself into get a fork and press your thumb into a piece of dough and roll it down the fork

12.Your thumb will create the hollow and the the fork will create the lines.

13. Repeat until all the lumps are hollowed and lined

14. To cook, add salt to a pot of boiling water and drop these babies in, when they float to the surface count to ten and scoop them out.

15. Done! How easy was that! You will never turn to store bought ever again!


  

How do you like your gnocchi? I like mine with pancetta,sage, garlic and butter.


Enjoy!


Xx Mel.



No comments:

Post a Comment