Sunday 7 December 2014

What A Cracker!

I love cheese. One of my favorite thing in life is when my boyfriends parents bring out a platter of expensive cheeses for "Happy Hour" before dinner . Yes there is alcohol involved but the cheese is the best part.

The platter of cheese is then followed by the everlasting debate on which cracker best suits the cheeses... So I have decided to make my own cracker and end this long standing feud of which cracker reigns supreme.

Here it is!!

My cracker with blue cheese, toasted walnuts and a drizzle of honey





This cracker recipe is totally versatile and easy to experiment with.

What you need (for Mel's Version):

1 1/2 cups of plain flour
1/2 - 1 teaspoon of pink salt (depends on how salty you like your crackers)
1 teaspoon of sugar
1 tablespoon of nigella seeds
1 tablespoon of black sesame seeds
1 tablespoon of white sesame seeds
1 tablespoon of flaxseeds  (basically whatever seeds you have!)
1/2 cup of water
1 tablespoon of garlic infused olive oil
1 table spoon of macadamia oil


What to do:

1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees
2. Mix all the dry ingredients together
3. Mix wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and knead into a ball
4. Roll the dough ball out until it is about 2-3mm's thick. the thinner the better (make sure you flour your surface well)
5. Use a pizza cutter and cut into desired rectangle shapes, or if you feel fancy use a cookie cutter
6. Spread the pieces of dough out onto a baking paper lined baking tray and prick each one with a fork- this stops it from puffing up too much
7. Bake for about 10-15 minutes depending on how well it browns,
8. When it is ready store in an airtight container once it has cooled and enjoy with your cheeses!!

Also great to have with dips or make large pieces and smother with cream cheese and smoked salmon for a yummy lunch! the combinations are endless!


Now... I feel I must share my dream cheese plate... at the moment I have a slate one which looks amazing.. but has one little problem. If I make my sticky honey walnuts when you go to pluck them off the slate it also takes a bit of slate with it... meaning we are slowly eating the slate cheese plate.


White marble cheese plate with a glass dome (Davis and Waddell)

S&P wooden board with glass dome 

If I could take the white marble base and combine it with the conical dome then I would have my dream cheese plate. I would avoid a wooden base as wood tends to take up the smell of anything it touches no matter how well it is treated... so hold the aged blue cheese!


My favourite cheese knives at the moment: (I am forever changing my mind!)


Laguiole in black or white. Love the old french look.

Bugatti in white or black. Love the elegant curves. 
* All of the above from Peter of Kensington


One day I will own my dream cheese set... but for now... a girl can dream :)



Enjoy

xx Mel




No comments:

Post a Comment